Create A Real Marketing Impact Using Coloured Envelopes
As you probably know, it's not easy to stand out as a business. With so many other companies creating new and inventive ideas this only makes it more difficult. I want to show you how you can really create an impact using coloured envelopes for different product mailings. The first thing to think about is the size of the envelope, as this will determine many things: Colours available, Cost of postage, Weight/Quality of envelope, Stock product, Bespoke making... You can see what i mean.
Envelope Size Advice:
- I would always suggest to use a stock size envelope as this will be far cheaper than a bespoke made envelope. Choosing a 'standard size' envelope such as C6, C5, C4 or DL will give you the most variety of options from stock. The other great advantage is you can have the envelopes delivered next day from stock.
- If you are choosing bespoke made envelopes then its well worth ordering for future as this can be a very expensive option in low quantities. Although they tend to cost more you can choose the exact Pantone Colour you want, the exact size you need & many other weight/quality options.
- The best piece of advice when designing anything that will require an envelope is to work backwards. Think about the envelope first, before you decide the size dimensions of the product going inside e.g. brochure or greeting card. We have so many calls every week with people struggling to get an envelope to fit. Usually a designer will have created a stunning beautiful brochure, but didn't consider the envelope and now cannot get one to fit. Please don't fall into this trap, as your envelope options will go down and your cost will go up. You could end up packaging your beautiful brochure in an envelope that doesn't suit or fit well, spoiling the overall result.
Choosing the Colour of Envelope:
- The colour is very important as you will want to create an impact that makes people want to open your envelope. It's known that using a brightly coloured envelope will increase response rates & has a much higher open rate. We also stock an excellent range of black envelopes, red envelopes, yellow envelopes and many other colours.
- If you don't like the idea of using a brightly coloured envelope choose a coloured envelope that matches your brand colour/s as this will add to brand value/recognition & customers will remember your mailing long after the envelope has been thrown away.
- If you can't find the exact colour for your brand you could get a pantone matched envelope which would be more expensive than a stock colour on low volumes.
Choosing The GSM Or Quality Of The Envelope:
- The GSM or 'grams per square metre' as otherwise known is important too. The higher the GSM number, the thicker the paper will be. A greeting card envelope will usually be 100gsm. Our mainline coloured envelopes are all 120gsm (which is the same paper thickness of the highly regarded Conqueror Envelopes). You can work up the scale to a card envelope at 350gsm+. Generally the higher the GSM, the higher the cost of the envelope. But don't let this put you off ordering a higher GSM, as this has many benefits.
- Higher GSM envelopes will offer more protection to your marketing material, plus look and feel of higher quality. Do be aware that a thicker paper / higher GSM will weigh more, so be careful not to creep above Royal Mail price brackets.
- Think of your target audience - if you're targeting prestigious customers then use a higher GSM envelope, for a more luxurious impression.